Early history of Kingman, AZ
The US War Department directed Lt E.F. Beale of the US Navy to chart and build a road across the southern tier of states along the 35th Parallel, and to test the feasibility of using camels as a mode of transport. Lt. Beale traveled through the Kingman area in 1857, and built a part of the road in 1859.You may find remnants of the old wagon road in White Cliffs Canyon; Beale Springs is named after the surveyor and engineer.
The Town of Kingman was founded in 1862 when Arizona was still a territory. The town was a siding and stop along the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad during those early years; the town was named for Lewis Kingman, a surveyor for the railroad. Kingman became the county seat after several transfers between Mojave City (1864-67), Hardyville (1867), Cerbat (1873)< Mineral Park (1877-76) and Kingman in 1887.
More about Kingman soon.
No comments posted.
Recent PostsHow the Railroads built many of our small towns "The Crummy" Useful Tools for Photographers Davenport Locomotive at the Nevada Southern RR Museum Work at the Nevada Southern Railroad Museum The Shamrock, TX Conoco Doors - From the inside, or is it the outside? A Wonderful Sojourn The Eureka and Palisade Railroad VIrginia and Truckee Railroad pt 2