Kelso - the town built to service a railraod in the middle of the Mojave desert.
Kelso is a ghost town and defunct railroad depot in the Mojave National Preserve in California. It was named after railroad worker John H. Kelso, whose name was placed into a hat along with two other workers to decide the name of the town. The town was built in 1905 specifically as a railroad station along the rail line between Utah and Los Angeles, originally called "Siding 16," because of its location and nearby springs that provided abundant water.
Starting off as what was a simple train depot in the 1920s, the town of Kelso boomed briefly to as many as 2000 residents in the 1940s, when borax and iron mines opened nearby. Gold and silver were also discovered in the nearby hills of what became known as the Kelso district. The town shrank again when the mines closed after about a decade.Information courtesy Wikipedia, 2015.
Keywords: California, Kelso, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad, Mojave Desert, MojaveNational Preserve, Union Pacific, railroars
No comments posted.
Recent PostsHow the Railroads built many of our small towns "The Crummy" Useful Tools for Photographers Davenport Locomotive at the Nevada Southern RR Museum Work at the Nevada Southern Railroad Museum The Shamrock, TX Conoco Doors - From the inside, or is it the outside? A Wonderful Sojourn The Eureka and Palisade Railroad VIrginia and Truckee Railroad pt 2