Kelso - the early years
Kelso was the typical railroad town after the turn of the 1800's to the 1900's. By 1905 there was a small wooden depot and a few railroad employee shanties. The railroad town was built to service the engines of the Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad, a subsidiary of the Union Pacific Railroad. Iron ore, gold, and silver were mined in the area, and the location provided a good water supply for the thirsty steam engines. In 1925, the original wooden depot burned to the ground, to be replaced by the current Spanish style structure that exists to this day; one of four of this style but by the Union Pacific.
No comments posted.
Recent PostsHow the Railroads built many of our small towns "The Crummy" Useful Tools for Photographers Davenport Locomotive at the Nevada Southern RR Museum Work at the Nevada Southern Railroad Museum The Shamrock, TX Conoco Doors - From the inside, or is it the outside? A Wonderful Sojourn The Eureka and Palisade Railroad VIrginia and Truckee Railroad pt 2